Tuesday, March 15, 2011



Painting huge paintings has greatly slowed my ability to produce consistently. My new resolution is to create smaller drawings a few times a week to boost my moral. The last painting I have completed is in reference to the Virgin Mary. In the Catholic church, women are encouraged to look to Mary as the ultimate role model. Unfortunately, it is a goal that is impossible to achieve because Mary is both a virgin and a mother. Which no woman could actually achieve, as it is impossible to be both. I have continued the theme of the holy card with a contemporary figure referencing qualities of Mary. I included lily's in the piece, which are the flower of purity. I composed them so that they point downward as a sign of surrender, and inability to achieve such a standard.

For my next painting I am researching the patron saint of girls, St. Rose of Lima. I began to lay it out today and feel confident that I will have it completed by the end of the semester.

As far as the drawing goes, I am using images of saints and altering them as I see fit. Right now I reflecting the gut wrenching stress I am feeling with anxiety. This series will combine my rather constant battle of anxiety with imagery of hope that the prayer cards are meant to posses. It doesn't work with my thesis, but it is giving me an opportunity to become familiar with how prayer cards are rendered and composed.

No comments:

Post a Comment